Our public policy priorities support the shared goal of the State’s 23 Community Action Agencies to help our vulnerable friends and neighbors who are living with low incomes – approximately 600,000 per year in virtually every city and town – to stabilize their lives and achieve economic mobility.
That goal, derived from the language of the federal law that created community action agencies more than 50 years ago, to be the nationwide mandated anti-poverty network, is pursued in part through advocacy for a variety of budget and legislative initiatives that, taken together, will strengthen individuals, families, neighborhoods, and communities across the state…and make the economy work for everyone.
Through a broad-based education and advocacy effort, we look forward to working with allied organizations and legislators to affect change through four broad public policy goals:
Download our Public Policies Priorities Fact Sheet
Learn More about Urgent FY20 Allocation of $15M for Fuel Assistance
Read Article about Urgent Need for $15M in FY20 Supplemental budget for Fuel Assistance
Strengthening Families through Affordable and Accessible Early Education and Care
- Increase the early education teacher salary line item
- Designate Early Education Federal Discretionary Funding for Rate Reserve Add-On to
- Increase the state Head Start line item
- Support for programs that help connect families with early education and care (Child Care Resource and Referral Access Management in Early Education)
Bridging the Wage Gap
- Increase the resources of free tax preparation (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance – VITA) sites run by CAAs and others
- Expand the state earned income tax credit (EITC) to 50 percent of the federal EITC
Creating a Foundation for Economic Opportunity
- Add Supplemental FY20 Allocation for Fuel Assistance: Learn more here
- Add State Fuel Assistance Line Item for FY21
- Support Services for Unaccompanied Youth Housing and Wraparound Services
- Renew program to help low income homeowners cover rising water and sewer bills (LISAWAP)
Strengthening Critical Human Services Infrastructure
- Support legislation to address inequality, promote opportunity and end poverty. Authorize a line item to strengthen communities and support Community Action Agencies
- Commission to Address Inequality, Create Opportunity, and End Poverty.
Please return to this page for regular updates as the legislative and budget processed unfold at the state house.